Monday, August 17, 2026

PUNISHING AMERICAN JEWS.....

 


J Street

Dear Omar,


The Jewish tradition teaches us to stand up for justice. To not stand idly by while others suffer.

Now, Netanyahu is punishing American Jews for living out those values.

His far-right government is denying American Jews entry into Israel for taking part in protective presence work in support of Palestinian communities in the West Bank.

I participated in this work last fall, when I joined a delegation organized by two groups, T’ruah and Rabbis for Human Rights, to bear witness to settler violence – serving as a human barrier in hopes that the presence of other Jews would deter extremists from deadly attacks.

These violent settlers regularly attack Palestinians in the West Bank, burn their homes and prevent them from reaching and harvesting their olive trees – a vital part of the community’s economy and culture.

I know what this violence looks like because I experienced it firsthand. During my experience helping farmers in the West Bank amid the olive harvest, we were attacked by settlers. I vividly remember two men in IDF uniforms aiming M-16 guns at our group, and I’ll never forget the fear I felt when one fired live ammunition into the air just to intimidate us.

Before you read further, please join me in sending an urgent message to Congress: Don’t let Netanyahu punish American Jews for standing with Palestinians.

In synagogues, Hebrew schools and at our dinner tables, we instill in our children the long-held values that bind our community together. We teach them about their obligation of Tikkun Olam – to make the world a better place – and to have the courage to act when others are suffering.

Today, a new generation of Jewish Americans is seeing the horrors of settler violence with their own eyes in real time. They’re also watching the Israeli government enable that violence, and they know they can’t be silent about it.

The painful truth is that the image of Israel many of us grew up with is not the nation that younger generations now know. But that doesn’t mean they’ve given up on Israel. Instead, they are finding different ways to stay connected, through fighting for a better future for Palestinians and Israelis alike.

For many young Jews, showing up, bearing witness and standing with vulnerable communities is what meaningful engagement with Israel looks like. That should be celebrated, not discouraged.

In barring these activists from not only entering the West Bank but Israel altogether, the Netanyahu government isn’t just opening the door for more settler attacks – it risks turning the next generation of American Jews away from any sort of relationship with Israel.

Congress must pressure the Netanyahu government now to stop punishing American citizens peacefully engaging in protective presence work. Time is of the essence, as we expect attacks to escalate with the approaching olive harvest.

This fall, J Street and T’ruah will be working together to support protective presence work, ensuring that Palestinian farmers are not left to face this violence alone.

I took part in this work because I believe that standing with Palestinians in the face of violence is part of how I live my out Jewish values. I beseech Congress to make clear that Americans should not be punished for doing the same.

Tell Congress: Let them in. Add your name to our petition now »

In solidarity,

Rabbi Suzanne Singer

Temple Beth El, Riverside California.


Received by email, It depicts a true and sad situation, here in America, among Jewish youth mostly, refusing to accept what's happening in Israel and the policies of its actual regime, settlers, army and militias, toward Palestinian populations under Israeli occupation. Why am I receiving it from this organization I'm not sure, but forwarding it through our blog will give our readers a better understanding of the situation, here in America and over there in the Middle-East, including the occupied Palestinian territories, Lebanon and the continuing absurd wars between Israel and all its neighbors, close ones and the not so close. 

As always, my many thanks to all.        

 

No comments:

Post a Comment