Monday, November 26, 2012

AMERICANISM....




   I'm not sure why , and maybe  I  shouldn't ,  but  compared  to Chris  and  his  family  roots  ,   I'm totally  belittled  ,  and  feel  like  a  complete  novice  in  my  Americanism . But  let's read  what  he  wrote  about  all  this .

   I'm  not  blind  to  the  imperfections  of  this  old  America , or  the  failures  to  meet  it's  ideals  consistently  at  home  and  abroad . I  spent  more  than  two  years  living  in  Roxbury , the  inner  city  in  Boston , across  the  street  from  a  public  housing  project  where  I  ran  a  small  church  as  a  seminarian  at  Harvard  Divinity  School .  I  saw  institutional  racism  at  work .  I  saw  how  banks , courts , dysfunctional  schools , probation  officers , broken  homes , drug  abuse , crime , and  employers  all  conspired  to  make  sure  the  poor  remained  poor . I  spent  two  decades  as  a  foreign  correspondent  in  Latin  America , Africa , the  middle  East , and  the  Balkan . I  saw  there  the  crimes  and  injustices  committed   in  our  name  and  often  with  our  support , whether  during  the  Contra  war  in  Nicaragua  or  the  brutalization  of  the  Palestinians  by  Israeli  occupation  and  armed  forces .  We  had  much  to  atone  for , but  still  there  was  also  much  that  was  good , decent , and  honorable  in  our  country .

The  country  I  live  in  today  uses  the  same  civic , patriotic , and  historical  language  to  describe  itself , the  same  symbols  and  iconography , the  same  national  myths , but  only  the  shell  remains .  The  America  we  celebrate  is  an  illusion .  America , the  country  of  my  birth , the  country  that  formed  and  shaped  me , the  country  of  my  father , my  father's  father , and  his  father's  father , stretching  back  to  the  generations  of  my  family  that  were  here  for  the  country's  founding , is  so  diminished  as  to  be  unrecognizable . I  do  not  know  if  this  America  will  return , even  as  I  pray  and  work  and  strive  for  it's  return .

Our  nation  has  been  hijacked  by  oligarchs , corporations , and  a  narrow , selfish ,  political  and  economic  elite .  Cultures  that  cannot  distinguish  between  illusion  and  reality  die . The  elites  are  blinded  by  absurd  fantasies  of  omnipotence  and  power  that  is  dooming  our  civilization.  We  are  more and  more  resembling  small  developing  third  world  countries  as  we  have  been  steadily  impoverished  by  our  own  power  elites , legally , economically , spiritually , and  politically .

We  embrace  the  dangerous  delusion  that  we  are  on  a  providential  mission  to  save  the  world  from  itself , to  impose  our  virtues on  others , which  we  see  as  superior  to  all  other  virtues , and  that  we  have  a  right  to  do  this  by  force .




Excerpts  and  ideas  from  the  book " Empire  of  illusion"  by  Chris  Hedges , winner  of  the  Pulitzer  Price ,  my  thanks  as  usual  to  my  readers  for  their  time .     

No comments:

Post a Comment