Thursday, May 30, 2013

MONTAIGNE... KIERKEGAARD... SHOPENHAUER AND OTHERS




Some  meaningfull , serious  and  sober  quotations , that indicate sometimes  our  evolution and path  in  life .

Montaigne  once  said  " I  sometimes  get  others  to  say  what  I  cannot  put  so  well  myself  because  of  the  weaknesses  of  my  language , and  sometimes  because  of  the  weakness  of  my  intellect .....   and  sometimes  to  reign  in  the  temerity  of  those  hasty  criticisms  which  leap  to  attack  writings  of  every  kind , especially  recent  writings  by  men  still  alive ....   I  have  to  hide  my  weaknesses  beneath  those  great  reputations ."

Kierkegaard ,  " What  happens  to  those  who  try  to  warn  the  present  age ??
It  happened  that  a  fire  broke  out  backstage  in  a  theater . The  clown  came  out  to  inform  the  public . They  thought  it  was  just  a  jest  and  applauded . He  repeated  his  warnings , they  shouted  even  louder . So  I  think  the  world  will  come  to  an  end  amid  general  applause  from  all  the  wits , who  believe  that  it  is  a  joke ."

Kierkegaard , " The  clergyman , counselling  on  the  idea  that  God  is  love . But  after  several  attempts  the  clergyman  says :  Well  I  have  only  one  counsel  to  give  you , there  is  a  book  about  the  love  of  God  by  so  and  so , " read  it , study  it , if  that  does  not  help  you , no  man  can  help  you."  The  unknown  man  replies   " I  myself  am  the  author  of  this  book ."

Shopenhauer , "The  man  who  habitually  slams  doors  instead  of  shutting  them  with  the  hand ...  is  not  merely  ill-mannered , but  also  coarse  and  narrow  minded ."

--  When  they  asked  Socrates  where  did  he  come  from , he  did  not  say " from  Athens "  but    
  "from  the  world ."





As  usual  my  gratitude  for  your  time  and  patience , salamat .


 

No comments:

Post a Comment